The internet has been down since Monday so I’m writing this in Word with the hope that I might get online sometime this afternoon. Right now my job is looking for a job, so it’s really frustrating to not have internet access since it is my primary means of searching.
We returned from Tanzania on Thursday of last week. I don’t have much to report or pictures to share because I was sick and in the hotel room the entire time we were there. Fortunately the hotel we were in was comfortable and had cable TV. I stayed in all of last weekend because I was still recovering. On Monday, around the time I was starting to feel back to normal, Anit left again for Tanzania. He’ll be back tomorrow (Friday).
Anit’s younger brother Punit and his girlfriend Sisca are in Mombasa this week. They live in Arusha, Tanzania where Punit has started a transport company with some relatives. Anit’s cousin Ravi is getting married the first week of September, so this week Anit’s mom (Shila), Sisca and I have spent quite a bit of time figuring out what we are going to wear. We tried on Saris this weekend and bought fabric and were measured for Sari blouses on Tuesday. On Monday, we picked out material and were measured for Punjabi dresses. I really enjoyed the experience, but felt a little clueless when it came to deciding on fabrics and cuts. It seemed like all the fabrics I picked weren’t wedding-appropriate or too casual. Sisca is also not Indian (she’s Indonesian) so at least she was in the same boat. I’m especially excited about my Punjabi dress. It’s shocking pink and peacock blue - I think it will be the brightest piece of clothing I’ve ever owned. This might surprising for those of you who knew me during my polyester period (circa 1994/1995).
Last night I went out for my second Indian ladies night with Anit’s cousin Bansi and others. We went to Misono, a Japanese restaurant, and had sushi, chili prawns and lots of wine – yum. I may go to Nairobi next week to visit my former roommate Nancy and her 7 year-old daughter Fayne. My friend Salma is also in Nairobi right now and will be staying through next week.
P.S. This afternoon we discovered that the internet wasn’t working because Sisca had unplugged the modem to plug in her hair dryer!
Thursday, July 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
How frustrating!! Well at least you'll know what to check if the net is down again.
Love, Dad
I definately want a photo of you in the sari...I love saris!!!!!!!!!
yeah can we get a picture of the sari? sounds like you are keeping busy even though you don't have a job. it is great to hear that you are doing well, albeit the illness.
Sushi in Kenya sounds really extreme! Did you tell them you know how to make sushi:)?
Take care
I will definitely post pictures of both the sari and the Punjabi dress. And, yes Megumi, I told the Indian ladies all about when you taught us how to make sushi!
Hello Becca-
John's sister, Jane, just emailed and said she emailed you to ask about Kenya. I guess there is a volunteering opportunity there that she is interested in.
Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Looking forward to pictures!
Take care,
jane
top [url=http://www.c-online-casino.co.uk/]casino bonus[/url] brake the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]casino bonus[/url] manumitted no consign bonus at the leading [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]baywatchcasino
[/url].
Post a Comment