Friday, July 13, 2007

First Interview Request!

I am very excited because today I received my first interview request! I will probably have many interviews before actually getting a job, so this may be the last one I blog about until I have an offer in hand. However, since it is my first, and for a job I would be extremely happy to have, I'll share. The interview is for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation Officer with World Vision International in Kampala, Uganda on their Combating Exploitative Child Labor through Education project. Before I left I talked to many of you about the difference between expatriate and local salary/benefits packages (expatriate packages having all the bells and whistles and local packages not) and how I was concerned that I may have to accept a local package to start out with. Well, this is an expatriate position which means in addition to health/investment benefits, I would have access to allowances for home leave, housing etc. I will have a screening interview with their Washington, DC office on Monday or Tuesday and if all goes well, will be talking with their Project Director in Kampala the following week.

This week I reconnected with my friend Salma. She and I became close and lived together (along with another Kenyan named Nancy) in 2004/2005. She was recently divorced by her husband, which many young Muslim Arab women in Mombasa would find devastating. Fortunately, she is much happier now and her family is being very supportive, so I am optimistic about her future. I also went to aerobics with Anit’s cousin Bansi. It kicked my butt and if at any point you were slacking off the instructor, who knew everyone’s name, would yell words of encouragement. I’m definitely going back.

Anit returned from Tanzania yesterday afternoon only to inform me that he would be leaving again today. This time I will join him. We will drive to Tanga, Tanzania this afternoon and then on to Dar es Salaam tomorrow morning. We will definitely be back in Mombasa by next Friday, but possibly earlier. I haven’t been to Dar es Salaam since 2003 when I was working for Aga Khan Foundation in Washington, DC. I remember liking it.

I will take pictures on our road trip and post them to a site that I will link to the blog. I also plan to take pictures of Anit’s parents’ house, where I am staying, and other spots in Mombasa. More soon.

3 comments:

Dan 3 said...

In most cases I would send my condolences to someone who was just divorced, but good for Salma. Does this mean she loses the bui bui again? I hope she's doing okay.

So you're coming back to the states for this interview? If you're in DC, give me a ring! And good luck with the interview.

Dan

Craig said...

Wouldn't it be great if this was the dream job and you got it!! Good luck!

It's good to hear Salma us doing well. Greet her for us.

We'll talk soon. Love, Dad

Alison said...

Hooray for you! The job sounds great, I hope the interview goes well and that you still are interested after hearing more about the position. I too am glad that Sama is doing well and that you like your aerobics instructor. Sounds good all around! Nice work.

Alison