One might think that, this being my sixth trip to Kenya, I would be used to the long time in transit and jet lag; not so. My journey was as direct as possible with minimal layovers. I flew from Minneapolis to Amsterdam, then on to Nairobi and then finally to Mombasa. I arrived on schedule late Friday night and proceeded to sleep until 5pm Saturday afternoon. Experienced travellers will tell you that the best way to get over jet lag is to fight the urge to sleep at odd hours until you adjust to the time difference, but I haven't had the will this time around. Yesterday I napped the afternoon away and laid awake all of last night. Today I'm so tired I feel sick, but I'm determined to stay awake until a reasonable bedtime hour.
Since I'm not sure who all will be reading this blog, I should probably explain what I am doing here and why my blog is entitled "Becca Goes to Africa" instead of "Becca Goes to Kenya." Most readers know that I spent a year during 2004/2005 working for an international development NGO in Mombasa, Kenya. During this time I met a young man named Anit who I have since visited in Kenya three times, including a three-month visit last summer when I interned with a Kenyan NGO. In early May of this year I completed a Master of Public Policy at the University of Minnesota and began looking for a job. Still without a job in June, I decided to continue my search here in Kenya, both because gaining additional developing country work experience will be really important if I want to advance in the development field and because I am tired of being in a long distance relationship. That said, I am not limiting my job search to Kenya. Anit has plans to move to Pemba, Mozambique in August or September, so I am also looking in Mozambique, Malawi and Tanzania.
I hope my future postings will be more newsy. So far I've spent a lot of time sleeping. Anit is going to Tanzania in the morning so I will have a few days to myself to settle in and reconnect with friends.
Monday, July 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
This blog will be a great way for all to keep up with your adventures! Hope the jet lag is gone soon. Love, Dad
Nice to see your first post! You're blog looks great. I am glad you are settled and I look forward to hearing more about your days:) Say hello to Anit.
xxoo,
Alison
Thanks for the work you put into your first blog posting. I agree it will be a wonderful way for us to share your adventures over time. We look forward to talking to you soon. Let us know when your phone number is straightened out. Lots of love, Mom
Once you get over to one of the other three countries Dave and I will think about a trip out there to visit. Can't do Kenya twice. Then again, that was a lot of fun. Maybe we can. Good luck in the job search. And catching up on sleep...
Dan
Becca! I am so sad to be back in the States and have you gone. I feel like you should still be hanging out at my house. I am glad to know that you made it safe and sound and have embarked on the job search. Let's catch up as soon as you get rested. I am unemployed so I am as free as can be . . . The most productive thing I have done is open a facebook account and post pictures (of you and Paula). Anyway . . . rest up and write me soon.
Big hugs,
Nat
glad that you made it there safe and sound. sorry i didn't get to see you and say goodbye before you left. i can't wait to read about your african adventures and see your pictures!
Glad to hear you made it to Kenya safe and sound! Sorry we didn't get to do one last happy hour with Erin before you left. :( I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!
yeah yeah yeah! love the blog...way to go on getting it started. good luck on the job search...can't wait to hear more!
Hi Becca! I'm glad you made it there. I miss you already! I can't wait to hear all about Kenya or wherever your adventures take you!
Erin
Great that you set this up! Love it! And I am glad you arrived safely - even if a bit tired. I am hoping you are now feeling better and I look forward to hearing your stories and seeing your pictures. Have fun and be safe!
jane
jet lag stinks! i've only had it once but i felt like it took a week to recover from. hopefully when you do, you can start having fun/getting started finding yourself and awesome job.
peace~lauren
Glad to hear from you and your blog looks great! I want to see pictures of you in Keyna:)
Good luck on your job serch. Talk to you soon.
Megumi
Barbara said...
Finally found your blog. First I think you have my old email. My current one is: bfreeman101@comcast.net
Any job interviews yet? Is Anit back in town? Catch me up on Nancy and her daughter and your Somalian friend. Love your blog.
Love, Gram
trying once again to see if our comment will be published. Thank goodness for our connection via your yahoo address. It will be exciting to hear about your lst interview for the Uganda position which sounds like a perfect position for you.
We love you and miss you@
Granddad and Grandma K
Hi Becca, its Kastler. I got an e-mail from Erin out of the blue and she gave me the address for this deal. Give me an e-mail sometime at wjkastler@yahoo.com.
Post a Comment