It was hard not to stare. That’s all I have to say about that.
I wish I had some news on the job front, but I haven’t had much luck as of yet. Last week I started volunteering at the Association for the Physically Disabled of Kenya (APDK) Rehabilitation Clinic – the organization where I interned last summer. I’m helping them to write a proposal to Bread for the World for funding to support training of Ministry of Health staff and volunteers on community-based rehabilitation. It feels good to be doing something productive. We will be submitting the proposal tomorrow and then next week I’m going to start troubleshooting some problems they are having with the Health Management Information System (HMIS) I built for them last summer. Jayne, my supervisor, has also said they’d like me to put together a couple of half-day trainings on proposal and report writing, which would be good experience, but I’m reluctant to commit to too much, because I’d much rather find a paying job!
Last Friday we had 16 friends over for dinner. I made two huge pans of lasagna – one with chicken sausage and the other vegetarian. I asked others to bring the sides etc. The lasagna went over well, but I was a little disappointed with how it turned out. The recipe calls for fresh mozzarella cheese, which is not available here. I bought the softest I could find, but it didn’t do the recipe justice. Also, the ricotta was drier and saltier than what I am used to.
Anit and I are going to Diani this weekend. It’s a village located about an hour south of Mombasa on the coast. It’s really a beautiful place. The sand is the softest and whitest I’ve ever seen. On Sunday we are going to Wasini Island where Anit will go diving and I will snorkel and hang out in the boat. I’m really looking forward to it.
I haven’t been successful at uploading ANY pictures, but I haven’t given up. The internet is much quicker at Anit’s office, so I think I’ll give it a go there next week.
I miss everyone!
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Well that settles it. No toupee for me,
Love, Dad
sounds like you are keeping busy and having fun. wish there was a picture of the toupee;)
I like your toupee story:) Sounds like you're doing well. Snorkeling sounds lovely! I am happy that you are finding work to do but don't let them give you too much work. Hope to talk to you soon,
Alison
Hi Becca!!!
Sorry I've been so bad about emailing. I've been reading about your adventures and it sounds exciting! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have some luck on the job front soon!! My "Rachl Goes to Africa" savings account is growing so you may have to play host this summer:-) Things here are going well. School is keeping me very busy...my kids are being less than cooperative w/ their gen ed teachers and I'm trying to get them to put forth as much effort w/ them as they do w/ me. It's a battle, but I'm enjoying the job overall. Other than that not much is going on here. Wanted to say a quick hi! I have pics from the wedding so you'll have to let me know how to get them to you.
Take care!!
Rachel
Post a Comment